A migraine is a type of severe and painful headaches. There are many reasons for a migraine. However, researchers do not have any definitive explanation but some of the main reason are a central nervous disorder, irregularities of blood vessel system or vascular system, and abnormalities and imbalance of brain chemicals or the pathway of nerves.
Though the main cause of a migraine is still unknown it is found that genetic and environmental factors are the major cause of a migraine. When there is a change in the brainstem and there is some imbalance in brain chemicals a migraine occurs. Apart from that, it is also seen that various types of hormonal changes in women can also occur as a migraine. It is generally seen many women develop a migraine at the time of pregnancy as a huge hormonal change occurs during pregnancy.
A migraine is usually seen to develop after the age of 30. Some people may also develop a migraine at the time of adolescence. Apart from several other factors like taking too much stress, too much sleep or missing sleep, sexual activity, intense. Moreover, various food habits such as taking too many salty foods, processed food, fasting, taking alcoholic drink such as wine or beverage may also trigger a migraine.
A migraine is generally accompanied with a headache, allergies, and stress. A migraine is generally seen to remain for 4 hours but if it is not treated in proper time it may last to 72 hours or even for a week. Sometimes some type of warning symptoms is generally observed before the start of a migraine. Let’s check out the symptoms before we move further.
Symptoms of a Migraine
A migraine is a very painful experience and apart from a headache you will also experience the following symptoms:
- The patient will experience nausea
- Have severe vomiting
- Observe sensitivity to sounds, smell as well as light
- Get fainted or feel dizziness
- Experience pulsing and throbbing head pain
- Sever pain any one side of your head – either on front or back or left or right
Diagnosis and Treatment of a Migraine
By observing the various symptoms a Doctor can tell whether a person has a migraine or not. It is also necessary to check the family history and to do a proper diagnosis for confirming whether the patient has a migraine. A migraine can lead to tumors, strokes and abnormal brain structures. It is true that a migraine cannot be cured however, your Doctor can help you to manage a migraine.
Treatment of a migraine depends on various factors like the age of the patient, the frequency of the problem occurs, the severity of the problem, whether the problem is accompanied with nausea and vomiting or not, how long the problem remains, family history and various other health conditions.
You can consider some natural and home remedies for a migraine, such as:
- Lying down quietly in a dark room for some time where you do not feel any type of disturbance. This is a very effective home remedy for the treatment of a migraine.
- Getting a good massage on the scalp helps in a great way to get relief from a migraine quickly.
- Wetting a piece of cloth and holding it on your forehead gives you instant relief. You can also put it behind your neck.
- Inhaling lavender oil at least for 15 minutes can give you an instant relief from a migraine.
- Using expressing which is a practice of applying pressure in specific points at fingers and hands.
- Applying peppermint oil in the forehead can also reduce a migraine.
- Taking ginger can be very effective in reducing the problem of a migraine.
- Doing meditation and yoga that can hugely relieve the frequency, duration, and intensity of a migraine.
- You can also biofeedback for getting relaxation. It very helps in getting relaxed from stress and muscles tensing.
- Eating food that is rich in magnesium such as almonds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts, cashews, peanut butter, oatmeal, eggs, and milk.
Apart from these, your doctor can prescribe some medication for getting relief from a migraine or preventing a migraine from happening at a quicker interval. It is seen that Doctors generally prescribe over-the-counter (OTC) medication. But the OTC medication does not work on the patient then Doctor goes for some more powerful medication. In case of a severe migraine, problem Doctor may suggest for Neurostimulation surgeries.
Thus, if you observe any symptoms of a migraine that are mentioned you should consult a doctor before it persists. Your doctor can diagnose all your underlying condition and will conduct several pathological and radiological test to determine if you have a migraine or not. In a case, migraine is detected it is highly necessary to start the treatment as soon as possible so that it does not persist. You can also follow the home remedies as they can give you an effective result without any side effect. A migraine is an incurable disease but you will definitely get relief if you take proper treatment at the proper time. So, make any delay in its treatment and allow it to persist.
Also read about:
7 Beneficial Things Sports Can Teach You In Life
Earning through Fashion Vlog on YouTube
Get Top of Google With YouTube By Following 2 Easy Step